top of page

Knitting terminology

Updated: Dec 22, 2023

Open Loop:

The open-loop is one in which the loop forming yarns doesn’t cross at the bottom of the loop.


In a closed loop, the legs of the loop cross so that the loop closing takes place.

Face loop:

During loop formation when the new loop emerges through the old loop from the back to the face side, it is called a face loop or weft knit loop.

Back loop:

If the new loop passes from the face side to the backside of old loop it is called as back loop or weft purl loop.

Technical face:

The side of the knitted fabric that consists of all the face or knitted loops is called the technical face of the fabric.

Technical back:

The side of the knitted fabric having full of the back or purl loop is called a needle loop. Normally the reverse side of the technical face is the technical back.

Needle Loop:

The upper part of the loop produced by the needle drawing the yarn is called a needle loop.

Sinker loop:

The lower part of the knitted loop is technically referred to as the sinker loop. It is the connection of two legs belonging to the neighboring stitches laying laterally.


The series of loops that are connected horizontally and continuously is called courses.


The series of loops that intermeshes vertically is known as Wales.

Stitch density:

It is the number of stitches per unit area of a knitted fabric. It determines the area of the fabric.

Single jersey (plain jersey):

Weft knitted fabrics produced with one set of needles (both in tubular or flat form) are called single jersey (or) plain knitted fabrics.

Double jersey:

Weft knitted fabrics with two sets of needles mounted in two-needle beds are called double jersey or double knitted fabrics.

Can you help us improve this page?

Send us your contribution at,

we will update this page and give you proper attribution!

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page